As we need to put something down for the Luftwaffe, I suggest that we write down and discuss the drivers we feel will or wont influence the LW in FFO, how we expect this to change or not change LW doctorine. From there we can then in the open produce a paper on the LW out in the open with input from as many people who wish to participate.
I'll go first:
The POD and how the retreating French forces will draw out the Battle of France.
- This should produce more losses for the LW, but how many?
- How the 3 Luft's involved in the BoF will be far more spread out than in otl.
- The disposition of the Luft's after the BoF and the possible creation of a new Luft as Southern France will now need to be patrolled. How's this effect Med. in that region, wasn't patrolled till 1943 in otl by the German's?
- Losses for the RAF during the BoF. How many?
- With the battle going into and past July 1940, work on 100 paved/concret runways should get underway in Germany ( cancelled in otl ) for the new training program.
- Orders cancelled in otl should not be. Impact? Added number of aircraft to LW.
- Damaged French aviation industry and other industries, if factories are destroyed as French retreat, what happens to these factories later. As was found out during the war, machine tools and equipment survive but the factories do not. Will this result in the equipment and maybe even personel being moved to Germany or Austria?
2) The Battle of Britain
- With a longer BoF, no chance of an invasion. Thus the attack on Britain can be more tactical.
- Assuming this the BoB should only involve the first 2 phases of the historical BoB.
- More mining
- With continuing support for the French, all be it from Britain, does the RAF have enough time to refit there fighters with self sealing tanks and more armour like they did in otl?
- With only the first 2 phases of the BoB being played out here and bombers in the LW most likely doing more night raids sooner. What effect does this have a Britain and the RAF? How does this effect the LW more importantly? Suddenly one of your enemies is out of reach in NA and the other you can only effectively reach 1/3rd of there countries infastructure.
- With no Barbarosa in 1941 and most likely no pull out till 1942 of LW units, how does this battle continue or develop?
That's enough for now.
Thoughts, idea's, things to add, expand on.....